Working in Hong Kong - Employment Visa

It is necessary to hold a valid employment/training visa delivered by the Hong Kong Immigration Department or to be a Hong Kong permanent resident in order to work legally in Hong Kong. For more information about immigration policies and employment visa eligibility, please consult the Visa Section of the Hong Kong Immigration Department website. 

The French Chamber offers Visa Application services that are tailor made to your needs. Please click here for more information about our Visa services.



Please consult the Hong Kong Inland Revenue Department website for information about taxation in Hong Kong.


Labour Laws of Hong Kong

The Employment Ordinance is the main piece of legislation governing conditions of employment in Hong Kong. Since its enactment in 1968, the benefits provided for under the Ordinance have been substantially improved. It covers a comprehensive range of employment protection and benefits for employees including: 

  • Wage Protection 
  • Rest Days 
  • Holidays with Pay 
  • Paid Annual Leave 
  • Sickness Allowance 
  • Maternity Protection 
  • Statutory Paternity Leave 
  • Severance Payment 
  • Long Service Payment 
  • Employment Protection 
  • Termination of Employment Contract 
  • Protection Against Anti-Union Discrimination 

To consult the Employment Ordinance, please visit the Hong Kong Labour Department's official website